- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala*
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1 4- to 4 1/2-pound roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces, backbone removed
- 2 small onions, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Mix yogurt, chopped cilantro, olive oil, garam masala, salt, and garlic in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add chicken to marinade, 1 piece at a time, coating all sides. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.
Position racks in top third and bottom third of oven; preheat to 400 °F. Arrange onions in thin layer on large rimmed baking sheet to form bed for chicken. Top with chicken pieces in single layer, spacing apart for even roasting (chicken will still be coated with marinade). Discard remaining marinade.
Roast chicken on top rack until cooked through and juices run clear when thickest portion of thigh is pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Serve chicken atop onion slices. Spoon pan juices around.
An Indian spice mixture; available in the spice section of many supermarkets and at Indian markets.